Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 174

Thread: My turn...A7 restore...

  1. #111
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Per my sig...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Very Nice! Are you going to paint the inside, too? I like bare wood on the inside of cabinets, but I see someone already put some paint on the inside.

    What will you be loading into the cabinet? How about the port boards?
    Well, let's see. No I'm not intending to paint the inside of the cabinets, at least on purpose. I have a bunch of interior work to do, including bracing the cabinet, and filling the void spaces behind the horn flares.

    I have a pair of 416-8As I bought specifically for this build, but I also have a pair of 515-16GHPs currently residing in a pair of unused 816VIs that could be put into these boxes. I was going to start with the 416s, a pair of 908-8A's and a set of EV ST-350 "baby buttcheek" tweeters. However, I've recently sourced a set of 902-16As which I could use with the 515s to make a pair of 16 Ohm A-7s. So much fun down the road. However, I gotta get the structural work done, and at the current pace, it's still going to be awhile.

    As far as the port boards, I have them, and need to finish them up, along with the backs. I was also thinking of making some sort of sliding door for the port as to have a variable tuning device for them. Anyone ever try that approach?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  2. #112
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Per my sig...

    Quote Originally Posted by analog addict View Post
    Well, let's see. No I'm not intending to paint the inside of the cabinets, at least on purpose. I have a bunch of interior work to do, including bracing the cabinet, and filling the void spaces behind the horn flares.
    What are you going to fill the voids with? Several things have been discussed here before.

    I have a pair of 416-8As I bought specifically for this build, but I also have a pair of 515-16GHPs currently residing in a pair of unused 816VIs that could be put into these boxes. I was going to start with the 416s, a pair of 908-8A's and a set of EV ST-350 "baby buttcheek" tweeters. However, I've recently sourced a set of 902-16As which I could use with the 515s to make a pair of 16 Ohm A-7s. So much fun down the road. However, I gotta get the structural work done, and at the current pace, it's still going to be awhile.
    I thought you had the 816s hooked up as surrounds?

    Just make sure you keep taking pictures so the rest of us can watch :-)

    As far as the port boards, I have them, and need to finish them up, along with the backs. I was also thinking of making some sort of sliding door for the port as to have a variable tuning device for them. Anyone ever try that approach?
    I forgot about the backs.

    An adjustable port is mentioned in "How to Build Speaker Enclosures" but on a very temporary basis. I would think rattling would be a problem on a permanently adjustable setup, such as a sliding arrangement.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #113
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Per my sig...

    Seen them on some early '50s RCA cabs and they worked fine, but never bothered since I was used to doing the standard reflex tuning procedure of making a too large vent and clamping a piece of wood to it to partially block it off till it either measured or I heard a tuning I liked, then made a cosmetic insert.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #114
    HB Super Moderator
    My turn...A7 restore...


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Per my sig...

    Quote Originally Posted by analog addict View Post
    However, I gotta get the structural work done, and at the current pace, it's still going to be awhile.
    Rome wasn't built in a day. However AA they are shaping up nicely.You will be hearing them real soon.It's the wood filling, painting, and stuff like that, that takes up or consumes the most time.You should have them running soon now that the paint is done.

    They are looking good.You always have the corner box Simplexes in the meantime.

  5. #115
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Per my sig...

    Don't fret. Mine sit half painted - been that way for months. Also been meaning to optimize the port size for about a year.
    Oh well, at least they sound nice.

    You've been making stellar progress.

  6. #116
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Per my sig...

    They look great! I'll be very interested in learning what driver combination and port size you end up using....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

  7. #117
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Horn flare sound deadening

    Got both cabinets sprayed with the foam gap sealer. The first one was the steep portion of the learning curve, but this one came out pretty even. There's definitely a noticeable difference when you rap the front side of the flare. Now it's more of a thud than a hollow sound....



    23
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

  8. #118
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Horn flare sound deadening

    Quote Originally Posted by analog addict View Post
    Got both cabinets sprayed with the foam gap sealer. The first one was the steep portion of the learning curve, but this one came out pretty even. There's definitely a noticeable difference when you rap the front side of the flare. Now it's more of a thud than a hollow sound....



    23
    I am vaguely reminded of an old girlfriend and a lotta redi-whip.

  9. #119
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horn flare sound deadening

    When I pulled the speakers out of mine, they were stuck to the cork gasket and I almost ripped them off yanking them out. How do you solve this problem; a ring of wax paper, or a smear of vasoline?
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  10. #120
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Horn flare sound deadening

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I am vaguely reminded of an old girlfriend and a lotta redi-whip.
    Well, I'm sure it don't taste as good, but it is nice and light, probably adding less than a pound to each speaker.

    One of the things I'm trying to keep in mind is the amount of "unsprung" weight I'm adding to these boxes. I still have some structural additions to make....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Analog Addict - Jack of all Trades, Master of None
    Searching for Sonic Nirvana...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.